Lodge 1538 has had three locations, the first in 1927,
the second in 1939 and our current lodge in 1969. Here is a brief
history by lodge historian Ted Scott.
The Benevolent and Protective Order of Elks has had a varied and
distinctive history since its creation in 1869 as a general purpose
social club. Here is its capsule history.
This unofficial, non-Elks history of BPOE is from the Phoenix
Masonic Museum. It contains many interesting historic facts about
of BPOE, Why the Name "Elks," Fraternal
Traditions of the BPOE, The Eleven O'clock Toast, Famous Elks,
Elks Colors, "Auld
Land Syne," The BPO of Does, BPOE of Canada, Improved BPOE of the World, The
Supreme Emblem Club of the USA
Long-term Elks member Larry Viegas recalls the discovery of tri tip,
Santa Maria's famous cut of beef. He suspects it happened some time
in the late 1950s. Read his story here.